Maha Shivratri Special ~ Karmic CoachVarun Mishra
Hare Krishna !!! Maha Shivratri 11 March 2021
Shiva means to enlighten. And, that’s exactly the essence of Lord Shiva who has several names like Mahadeva, Pashupati, Vishwanath, Nataraja, Bhava, and Bhole Nath. ‘Shivratri’ is a combination of two words – Shiva+Ratri, where ‘Shiva’ refers to Lord Shiva and Ratri means ‘night.’ The word “Maha” in Maha Shivratri means “Grand”.
So, the grand night dedicated to celebrate this deity is called Maha Shivratri. Devotees visit their nearest Shiva Temple for Shivalinga abhishek. It is the main form of Puja to Lord Shiva. This is performed with various materials like rose water, yogurt, ghee, milk, honey, sugar, water and juices and several offerings. The Puja can be done either one time or four times in the whole night.
This year, Maha Shivaratri falls on Thursday, March 11, 2021. The Chaturdashi tithi begins at 14:39 on Mar 11, 2021, and ends at 15:02 on Mar 12, 2021.
Lord Shiva, in the Hindu mythology, is recognized as the destroyer and the creator of the universe.
- Shivratri occurs every month, whereas Maha Shivratri is the great night of Shiva that occurs only once a year.
- The 14th day of every lunar month is known as Shivratri. So, there are twelve Shivratris in a calendar year that occur a day prior to the new moon.
- Maha Shivratri, a special day of spiritual significance, marks Shiva and Parvati’s marriage
Maha Shivratri is considered auspicious and important for the following reasons :
- Liberation from the past sins or bad karmas
- Attainment of moksha-liberation from the cycle of birth and death
- Married women attain marital bliss and prosperous family life
- Unmarried women pray for being blessed with ideal husbands like Lord Shiva
On this day, devotees take early bath, wear the auspicious green coloured clothes and visit the nearest Shiv temple to offer prayers to the Shiva Linga. If you can’t wear on green, you also have the option to wear red, white, yellow, orange on this day.
Before you set out to soak in the deep bliss of fasting for your beloved Lord Shiva, here are a few tips:
- Stay calm and happy before you begin.
- Meditate to relieve yourself from all the anxiety and stress.
- Do Fast if body demands.
Do not sleep during Shivratri if you are observing a complete fast.
Don’t forget to chant powerful Panchakshari Shiva Mantra – ‘Om Namah Shivaya’ 108 times along with Rudrabhishek to shivlinga (nearby shiva temple or any 12 Jyotirlingas) to purify your body and soul and connect on a deeper level with the Lord.
Happy Maha Shivratri!
Om Shanti to all Blessed Souls……